A student may petition to take a Health Leave of Absence for up to one year for personal health or family health reasons. Within the maximum of 16 credits from external sources, students on approved leave for medical reasons may take two courses (eight credits) per semester.* Course credits may count toward the 128 credits needed for graduation as defined in the academic residency requirement.
Minimum Transfer Credit Requirements for Fall/Spring Courses:
· A minimum grade of C- or better must be earned in the course.
· Course content must be deemed appropriate by the Office of the University Registrar.
Minimum Transfer Credit Requirements for Summer Courses:
· Acceptable sessions comprise a minimum of 5 weeks and 37 contact hours; foreign language courses
require 52 contact hours.
· A minimum grade of B- or better must be earned in the course.
· A student may earn credit for no more than 3 semester courses in a single summer; 2 courses in a
Students who are on an approved Health Leave of Absence and would like to petition to take courses outside of Brandeis University, must:
1. Complete this online health leave petition form. You may petition for up to 2 courses at a time.
(Lecture and lab sequences are considered separate courses. Please enter the information for each lecture and lab
2. Upload a course syllabus to your petition. If a current syllabus is not available, you can upload last
year's syllabus as long as the course content is the same.
3. Submit a final transcript to the Office of the University Registrar after the courses are complete.
A written approval or denial will be given as soon as possible. Students are advised not to take a course for which written approval has not been received.
Credit is granted based on the principle of “Equivalent Course Load.” Brandeis does not measure progress towards the degree in terms of “semester hours” or “quarter hours.” Units such as these are converted to “semester courses” according to the formula below:
We ascertain the number of hours or courses required for the receipt of a bachelor’s degree at the institution from which you are transferring courses. We total the number of credits acceptable to us for transfer credit, divide them by the requirement at your previous institution and multiply by 32 (the degree standard at Brandeis). For example, if your previous school requires 128 credits and you attended one semester, completing 16 credits acceptable for transfer, the equation will be 16/128 x 32 = 4. Hence, one full semester at that institution will receive full credit at Brandeis. If you worked at a higher or lower rate, credit transferred will reflect that rate. For two year schools, we multiply by 16 (e.g., if the degree requirement is 60 credits, the equation will be #/60 x 16 =?)